Landis Construction Co., LLC

Landis Awarded 2015 EIC Awards

Landis was awarded two 2015 Excellence in Construction (EIC) awards by the ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter. The EIC awards, “…honor the skill and creativity of the entire team – contractor, owner, architect and engineer – responsible for an outstanding merit shop construction project. The award recipients exceed expectations in innovation and quality.”

Landis was awarded Excellence for the Peoples Health New Orleans Jazz Market for Historical Restoration/Renovation (less than $25 million). The building at 1436 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd. was originally one of two sister buildings that served as an entrance to Dryades Market, and was built in 1849. The building has served as many businesses over the years, most recently as Gator’s Discount Store, before its renovation to serve as the first ever permanent home of the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra (NOJO). The building, which achieved LEED Gold status, is now a 14,000-square-foot performance and community venue that includes a true mezzanine, rehearsal room, archive of New Orleans Jazz, education room, two bars, executive offices, and VIP area. Total seated capacity is designed to be 360; capacity with a combination of standing room and limited seating can accommodate as many as 600 guests.

Landis was also awarded Excellence for the YAYA, Inc. Arts Center for Community/Public Service (up to $100 million). The YAYA Arts Center, located on LaSalle Street in Central City, now has their very own home after 25 years. YAYA, an acronym for Young Artists/Young Aspirations, has a mission to, “…to empower creative young people to become successful adults. [They] provide educational experiences in the arts and entrepreneurship to New Orleans-area children and youth, fostering and supporting their individual ambitions.” YAYA will serve as a community center with educational, social, and artistic resources primarily for area families, artists, and youth. The front building will serve as commercial space for art showings and administrative use, as well as the community center. The back building will primarily be utilized for glass blowing activities.

Both projects required exceptional teamwork and collaboration – congratulations to everyone involved!

This entry was posted in news. Bookmark the permalink.